In this episode, host Jason L Smith, CEP®, BPC, sits down with “America’s IRA Expert:” Ed Slott, CPA. He is the founder and CEO at Ed Slott and Company and a professional speaker and author. Together they discuss various tax and retirement planning strategies and stress the importance of finding the right advisor to help make the most of your savings and minimize tax burdens. Tune in for valuable advice to make informed financial decisions, optimize your retirement nest egg, and safeguard your wealth for future generations.
The Great Retirement Debate podcast with Ed Slott and Jeffrey Levine
Key Topics Discussed:
1. Having the right advisor: anyone who wants to make tax-smart decisions regarding their financial future benefits from an advisor with the right knowledge and skillset.
- If you are a high-net-worth individual who has more complex financial needs, an advisor with expertise in tax management can make a big difference in your experience.
- This podcast shares why understanding tax implications on wealth is important.
2. Proactive tax planning: taking strategic actions now can lead to long-term financial benefits.
- Some decisions may temporarily increase your tax liability but can be more beneficial in the long run.
- Planning is crucial to helping you keep more money for yourself and your beneficiaries.
- It is wise to focus on what will help you have a steady future, rather than what may provide short-term financial gains.
3. Tax-efficient strategies: this episode describes ways to help maximize savings and minimize what you owe. Some examples include:
- Roth conversions — These can help you manage their income-related monthly adjustment amounts (IRMAA) when they turn 65. By converting some of their traditional IRA funds into a Roth IRA, you can potentially reduce future Medicare charges for Medicare Parts B and D.
- Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) — If you’re 70-and-a-half or older with an IRA and plan to make charitable donations, consider using a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) from your IRA. This allows you to exclude the distribution from income, providing a better tax benefit than a tax deduction.
- Ongoing education: Stay Informed About Tax Law Changes: Tax laws are constantly changing. Stay informed about new tax laws and regulations, especially those related to retirement accounts like IRAs and 401(k)s.
- This knowledge can help you make informed decisions and potentially reduce your tax burden.
- A holistic advisor can help you stay in-the-know.
If you’re unsure about your financial and tax situation, consider seeking advice from a financial advisor who specializes in retirement planning and tax-efficient strategies. The professionals at JL Smith can help you create a personalized plan to minimize your tax liability — schedule a free consultation today.
The information provided in this “Holistic Wealth and Health Podcast” episode, “Getting a Leg up on Tax Season – Tips and Strategies for Proactive Tax Management with Ed Slott, CPA” is for general informational purposes only. While hosts Jason L Smith, CEP, BPC, and guest Ed Slott, CPA, share valuable insights, listeners are urged to consult with financial, tax, and legal professionals for personalized advice. The hosts and guests do not endorse specific financial products, and any actions taken based on this content are at the listener’s discretion. The hosts, guests, and producers are not liable for errors or consequences resulting from individual decisions. Always seek professional guidance tailored to your unique financial circumstances.